Friday 13 April 2012

Static Apnea (Breath Holding) Experiments

"How long can I hold my breath?", is the question. Here are my test results:


Attempt 1 55 sec. Got panicky and was surprised how short it was.
Attempt 2 2 min. Spend time relaxing and deep breathing before.
Attempt 3 2:30 min. Did some internet research on techniques
Attempt 4 3:36 min. No alcohol for a week, a day’s rest since excessing. It was an extremely intense and somewhat unpleasant experience. My fingers started tingling at about 3 min. By the end my fore arms where numb and aching.
Attempt 5 3:54 min. Final breath hold after completing CO2 and O2 tables http://goo.gl/tG3Yl


Room to improve? Certainly, I mean, experienced freedivers go for 5 to 8 min. It seems a bit daunting though. As far as I understand I need to do:


  1. Meditate before starting and get heart rate down to at least 60 bpm before starting. In my last attempt I started at 80 bpm which is quite high, and dropped to 40 by the end of the 3:36 min.
  2. Do dynamic apnea training. Swimming  drills while holding my breath. e.g. Underwater lengths, freestyle breathing every 9th stroke. 5 dolphin kick per 1 breast stroke breath.
  3. Static apnea exercises. http://goo.gl/tG3Yl
  4. Strengthen diaphragm to enable greater long volume.
  5. Learn to pack - a technique for swallowing additional air into the lungs.
  6. Go on a freediving course.
Related: About freediving

No comments:

Post a Comment