Monday 20 May 2013

Altra Superior Trail Shoe Review


I've run about 100km with my new Altra Superiors. I'm pretty happy with them. They're super comfortable, light and zero drop.
One of the reasons that I bought them was because I was getting really bad calf strain issues with my Merrel trail gloves. The reason is because I tend to protect my knees (I've had serious issues in the past), and hence I tend to land forefoot to maximise impact absorption. Because of this I've been getting really sore calves and have had some muscle tears that have taken me "out of the running" for weeks. Because the Altras have a bit of cushioning, I feel more confident landing flatter (mid-foot). I'm getting less calf strain and this has translated to more frequent and longer runs.

Fit
The fit is super comfortable, like a pair of Ugg Boots. They have a wide toe box, that any minimal runner accustomed to. I bought a size bigger than usual as recommended by Altra, and the length is perfect. However the mid-foot is cut for a Hobbit foot and not a slim Elf foot like mine. This means I have to pull the laces really tight in the front, which doesn't really work because the lace tension gradually equalises as I run. I could feel a blister starting to form on the ball of my foot. Eventually I added another inner sole and this worked really well to take up the extra space. It means the sole is even more cushioned which I don't mind, since these shoes are meant to be my less-minimal option.

Usage and Durability
I bought these shoes with adventure racing in mind. I wanted a zero drop shoe with a bit of stiffness for the mountain bike leg. The removable rock plate serves this purpose perfectly. I've taken it out for now because the shoe is nice and flexible without it. I also wanted a regular running shoe to use as a road/trail cross-training shoe. All the reviews I read said it was great for this and indeed they are, except for one thing. The Black part of the sole is softer than the green material and I think it won't wear well on the road. Time will tell. Other than that, they are comfortable on the road and the wedges grip well on the trail.
Pros:
·         Super Comfortable, wide toe box.
·         Zero drop
·         Just enough cushioning but still flexible
·         Removable rock plate.
·         Green shoes are cool!

Cons:
·         Wide mid-foot fit
·         Possibly not durable sole.



1 comment:

  1. Aaaarg! I threw out the shoe box a few days ago.... with the rock plates in it!! Damn!

    ReplyDelete