Saturday 2 January 2016

Merrell Bare Access Running Shoe Review - The Perfect Natural Runner Shoe

The Merrell Bare Access is a light weight, zero drop shoe ideal for those who have a natural running form with a forefoot strike, but want a bit of cushioning. It's somewhat minimal but, if your looking for a barefoot shoe with good road feel, this is not it.

Merrell initially marketed them as a barefoot transition shoe, but seem to have realised that there are people, like me, who want zero drop with some cushioning. They are now marketed as a running shoe in it own right and also come in a trail and more cushioned 17mm stack height Ultra version.



Now, let me just let the cat out the bag... this is my favourite running shoe for anything up to a half marathon. I'm a forefoot striker, so high-heeled running shoes are crazily annoying. My criteria in order of importance are zero drop, some cushioning, wide toe box, narrow heel and mid-foot. This leaves surprisingly few shoes and the Bare Access fits the spec perfectly. For longer runs, Merrell has now released the Bare Access Ultra model with extra cushioning.

I find it strange that these shoes are not really supported by mainstream running shops. Yes, the barefoot trend is something of the past, or at least in the mainstream, but a natural running form is still generally regarded by serious runners to be the the most efficient and least impact-full way to run. To me this implies shoes close to zero drop, but there are still only a handful to choose from.

I'm reviewing the Bare Access 2, but really there are not many difference to the latest Bare Access 4, except a more supportive heel.

Specs from Merrell

UPPER / LINING 
• Barefoot construction
• Mesh and synthetic upper
• Reflective details for increased visibility in low light
• External heel stability arm
MIDSOLE / OUTSOLE
• 0mm Drop / 8mm Cush / 13.5mm Stack Height
• Integrated microfiber footbed treated with Aegis®
• Merrell Bare Access 2 Sole / Vibram® Pods
Men’s Weight: 7oz (1/2 pair)

Fit

The shoe has a wide toe box which I love. The toe box is not as wide an Altra, but I think Merrell has nailed perfectly. The shoe still looks like a "normal" runner and not like a chunky slipper. The heel and mid-foot are narrow, however, I have narrow feet and the shoe still felt a bit loose. I like to have minimal movement inside the shoe to reduce the chance of blistering. I later remedied this by adding a removable in-sole (it comes with a fixed in-sole). 

Durability

The shoe has excellent durability. I've done will over 1000 km and it should be good for a few hundred more. The Vebram sole is starting to wear through at the initial contact point. The build in in-sole started to wear and get rough spots, but I fixed they by adding an in-sole, which actually improved the fit in my case. The inside back of the heel is starting to wear and develop rough spots but doesn't bother me at this stage.

Pros:

  • Perfect shape
  • Zero Drop
  • Minimal but still offers protection
  • Durable
  • Price

Cons:

I struggled to think of any.
  • Shoe laces too short

Running form Tips:




No comments:

Post a Comment