Saturday 20 August 2011

Mid-foot strike questions

I had to take the week off after running city to surf. It’s 6 days now and my calves are still hurting. After nearly 4 months, I still haven’t adjusted fully to mid-foot/barefoot running. I’m starting to understand why Nike invented the modern running shoe. I mean, the average person would find the whole adjustment process way too tedious and probably give up running. Nike gave these people an alternative option that doesn’t require months of adjustment. They got the average person running, be it with the risk of knee and hip injuries.

I’m also seriously questioning whether it will be possible for me to run a marathon distance with a mid-foot strike? A 15km run blasted my calves away. What’s going to happen after 42? Will I even make it, or will everything fall apart? Is it idiotic to attempt it in 5 fingers? Should I run in Nike frees so that I have more mid-foot cushioning and (dare I say it) a heal strike fallback option? These are the question I’m hoping to answer over the next few months as I attempt to increase my running mileage and frequency.

No comments:

Post a Comment